Aug 3, 2012

The Hardest Battle...

I've lived all my life being disabled. Unfortunately, the only person who knows that I'm disabled is me. Everyone else thinks I'm "normal"...and that's what hurts.

To show you what I mean, imagine this scenario...you're lying on the street, the victim of some sort of random violence. Lying next to you are other victims of the violence, all of you are bleeding, all of you are scared, all of you are wondering if you'll live long enough to say goodbye to your loved ones. In your mind's eye, pieces of your life dance nervously across your awareness, reminding you of your many failures, touching only briefly on your few successes. You turn your head to look at the others and their blank stares and ashen expressions tell you that they must be going through the same thing.
 
A muffled sound wafts through the thinning air and when it reaches your ears, you realize that someone is saying that the ambulance is almost here. That gives you a sense of comfort...help is on the way. You turn your head to look at the nearest victim. You mouth the message that it won't be long now. Your're not sure if she understood...she doesn't look very good and you wonder if you look just as bad.
 
Finally, the ambulance arrives and you find a small wave of hope wash over you. At least now, you think, whatever chance you still have will be taken by the paramedics. They come and stand over you, they check your pulse and give you a thorough visual inspection. After only a second or two you hear them say "He's okay, he doesn't need any help." And to your amazement, they move away to treat the woman lying next to you, going as far as pushing you aside so they have more room to work on her. Hey, your mind yells out to them, can't you see I'm bleeding? Can't you see I'm hurt? But, they do not respond and focus on the woman.
 
That's what it's like to have ADD, no one can see your wounds, no one knows you're bleeding, everyone treats you like you're just looking for attention and helping you would only use up valuable resources. If there is any one condition that makes you feel completely separate from the rest of the world, it's ADD.
 
That's how I've spent my entire life.

ADD/ADHD may be one of the most insidious conditions one can suffer through, especially as an adult.  In some ways, it has ruined my hopes and dreams; but, I do have some attributes which may allow me to provide a voice for my compatriots.

With that in mind, I hope my entries in this section of my blog will:
  • Offer some clarity for those who cannot "...just concentrate!...";
  • Provide some focus for those who cannot "...pay attention!...";
  • To give a calm eloquence to those who cannot "...stop talking!...";
  • And most of all, to provide some validation to those who cannot "...just try harder!..." 
"The hardest battle you're ever going to fight is the battle just to be you." - Leo Buscaglia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading...