Aug 7, 2012

Olympics

I'm finding the NBC coverage of the 2012 Olympics to be more interesting and engaging than their coverage of prior Olympiads.  In the past, NBC always seemed to practice such deep bias in favor of the U.S. athletes that I would literally choke on too much "rah, rah".  I root for the U.S. just as much as anyone else, but I see U.S. athletes for 200 weeks between every Olympiad.  I tune in to the Olympics as a reminder that there are other countries and other athletes out there and I want to see what they look like, what they're good and not good at, what are their personal stories, how nuts do their fans get when their team is ahead, etc., etc.  With so much time devoted to our own athletes, I feel like I'm watching propaganda, not sports.  This year's coverage, however, has been far more broad, inclusive and informative and I don't feel like I'm seeing less of the U.S. efforts.  Good work.  Now, I can feel some of that "Olympic Spirit".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading...